Looking for work that matches your values? Compost Winnipeg offers its staff the opportunity to make a direct, tangible impact on keeping organic waste out of the landfill while also reducing greenhouse gas emissions. By providing a safe and positive work environment, we ensure our staff are well supported to work in this challenging but very rewarding sector of waste management. Join our team and help us ensure that our service continues to impress our clients while making progress toward our ultimate goal of 100% organic waste diversion from Winnipeg’s landfills.
We are seeking a Compost Courier!
DATE POSTED: September 15th, 2021
TITLE: Compost Courier
HOURS: This position is full-time, 35-40 hours per week, one-year term with the possibility of continuation
STARTING WAGE: $16 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 1st, 2021 at 4:30PM
Compost Winnipeg seeks an independent and responsible individual, to work as a compost collection courier in a growing social enterprise.
Position Description: This position will be responsible for safely and efficiently collecting organic waste on scheduled collection routes while collecting high-quality waste diversion data. They will also be responsible for delivering organics to the composting site and for daily maintenance tasks.
Background: Officially launched in 2016, Compost Winnipeg is an environmentally driven social enterprise with a mission to manage waste responsibly and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Winnipeg by providing fee-for-service organic collections to Winnipeg residents and businesses, thus diverting organic material from the landfill. An estimated 40% of residential and 30% of commercial waste in the landfill is organic, which creates methane, a potent GHG that contributes to climate change. Profits generated by Compost Winnipeg support Green Action Centre’s environmental programs and activities.
Responsibilities: In cooperation with other Compost Winnipeg staff, the Collection and Maintenance Worker has the following duties and responsibilities:
● Safely and efficiently operate a collection truck on scheduled routes
● Pick-up, weigh and track organic waste as it is collected
● Clean and maintain compost collection bins as required
● Actively participate in our efforts to maintain a safe and positive work environment
● Regularly communicate and participate in logistics planning with the Compost Winnipeg staff
● Conduct daily inspections and maintenance of collection trucks
Key Qualifications: Must be reliable and able to work without close supervision. Key qualifications include:
● Organized, punctual, responsible and self-disciplined;
● Good communication and customer service skills;
● Able to work well with others and independently;
● Ability to consistently and safely lift 25 kilograms
● Available for weekend shifts and stat holidays;
● Knowledge of composting or willingness to learn.
● Commercial driving experience and/or training
● Class 4 or higher driver’s license and/or air brake endorsement
● Vehicle maintenance experience, or any other trades experience
● Welding training
Diversity and Inclusion
Compost Winnipeg is committed to being an inclusive employer and is working to better reflect and
represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following
communities to apply and self-declare in your application:
● Indigenous, Black, People of Colour
● Immigrant or refugee
● People with disabilities
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of
membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with
“Application: Compost Courier” in the subject line by October 1st, 2021 at 4:30PM.